Monday 7 February 2011

I must make do and mend.

I was reading my Parents' copy of The Telegraph this weekend, when I stumbled across an interview with Dame Helen Mirren where she professed her love of mending clothes, and darning holes in socks.  This brought me a disproportionate amount of joy to read- particularly in today's rather more throwaway society, and it also reminded me that I had rather a big pile of mending accruing at home.

So. Today, I got to work on the pile.



I keep putting off these jobs, which is rather silly- given the tiny amount of time they actually take! However, now I am all caught up, and feeling rather pleased with myself (until I find the next hole....!)


Having finished the cardigan, I am now back on the case of the Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Cabled cardi.  It is coming along well, and is quite a quick knit after the fiddly job of the Lucille one.  It is essentially a repeat of 4 rows over and over, and I am remembering how much quicker cashmerino knits up than 4-ply!


Today is incredibly windy (as have been the last few days actually!).  There is something bizarre about the effect windy days have on children (of all ages!)- and today we had two rather over excited toddlers playing in the wind.  Over my years of teaching, other colleagues have knowingly nodded, and accredited mischievous and excitable behaviour to the wind, but I think it is actually true!

I hope you are enjoying your week, and that the wind isn't creating too much excitement!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, it's absolutely true about children and the wind, no doubt about it! What a pretty cardigan, I love the little cables. Laura x

    ReplyDelete